Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Buttermilk Refrigerator Rolls

These Rolls were awesome. I am a sucker for breads and I loved these. They were definitely melt in your mouth. I thought the recipe was a little weird with how you put the stuff in after in rises for a bit, but it works out really well and tasted divine. I was making them for some guests and didn't want to screw it up and have no bread. I didn't put them in the fridge either. They just went strait to my pan to raise and then into the oven, and later to my mouth. Yummy!





Buttermilk Refigerator Rolls
3 cups Buttermilk (room temperature)
3 cups flour
1 T. yeast dissolved in ¼ cup warm water (first let rise a few minutes)
½ cup sugar
3 eggs, beaten with a fork
2 tsp salt
5 cups flour (sometimes you need a cup more–it should not be too sticky)
½ cup oil
1 tsp baking soda
Dissolve yeast in ¼ c. warm water and let proof a few minutes. Mix the buttermilk, flour and yeast together thoroughly in a large mixing bowl. Cover and let this stand at room temperature until double in size, about 2 hours.


Add sugar, eggs, salt, flour, oil, and baking soda. Mix well and knead for 7-10 minutes. I place the mix them in my breadmaker. I don't like hand kneeding and if I make a small enough batch my bread maker can do it for me. 

Roll out what you want and place the rest in the refrigerator, lightly covered so air can still circulate. The next time you want some fresh baked rolls, take from the bowl what you want and again put the rest back in the refrigerator. It will keep for 7 days.

 
Let rolls rise on baking sheets until double in size. Time depends on the room temperature, usually 1½ – 2 hours. Dough from the refrigerator will take longer because the dough is cold.

Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Brush with melted butter if you like.

Note: I cut this recipe into thirds and put in in my bread maker so I didn't have to hand kneed. It is on  my list to get a Bosch, but Santa hasn't dropped one off at my house yet.


Recipe for Buttermilk 

1 comment:

  1. I've been perusing your site and I'm definitely going to make these rolls! Thanks for the recipe and the visit!

    ReplyDelete