Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Grandma's Buttermilk Cornbread

I am not the biggest fan of cornbread, but I really like this recipe. It is moist. Most cornbread has always seemed a little dry to me and you need honey butter to make it taste better. This stuff I eat without the honey butter, I eat it with honey butter too! I make my own buttermilk. I have never liked the idea of buying buttermilk when it is easy enough to make, a lot cheaper this way. Buttermilk Recipe. I make it in the dutch oven and it works out really well. Less dishes to wash afterward. I have also just baked it in a normal glass pan and it was delicious too! I hope you enjoy, I know I do! It is making my mouth water thinking about it. Maybe I will switch what I was planning on making for diner tonight :)


Grandma's Buttermilk Cornbread
1/2 c butter or margarine
2/3 c granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 c buttermilk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 c cornmeal
1 c flour
1/2 tsp salt (I only use a dash)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and 8 inch square pan. Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 min, or until toothpick in center comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment