Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Italian Bread Bowls

I have always loved bread bowls, and have searched, searched, and searched for ones that I can get to turn out just right. I like using Mini Bread Loaf pans to make them and they turn out pretty good. These ones were great. It did take a lot of work. I kneaded the dough by hand, forever it seemed! They turned out great. I sprayed some water in the oven after I put them in it. I would like to find one with more flavor, but overall this one turned out great. I will make these again, but I will experiment with the recipe too.


Italian Bread Bowls Recipe

Italian Bread Bowls
4 tsp yeast
2 1/2 c warm water
2 tsp salt ( I use 2 dashes)
2 tbl canola oil
7 c flour

1 tbl cornmeal
1 egg white
1 tbl water

I large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 min. Add 4 c flour, salt and oil to mixture. Mixing well. Then slowly add the remaining flour.

When the dough pulls together, turn in out on a lightly flowered surface and knead until smooth, about 6 min. lightly oil large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and cover with light cloth until it doubles in size. About 60 min.

Punch down and divide into 6 equal portions. Shape each portion into a round loaf. Place loafs of lightly greased baking sheets and sprinkle with corn meal. Cover and let rise in warm place free from drafts, until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 400* F. In small bowl beat together egg white and  1 tbl water. Get water bottle a mist water in oven. Place bowls in over to bake for 15 min, brush with egg white mixture, then bake 10 to 15 min more. Cool on wire racks.

To make bowls, cut out middle of bowl and scoop out bread. Add your soup and then enjoy. Only put soup in right before serving so bread doesn't get too soggy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment