Friday, February 10, 2012

Make your own Cinnamon Chips

My friend and I went shopping with our kids the other day. It was a fun trip and we decided to treat ourselves to some Great Harvest Bread. I eat there, like never! It is way to expensive when I feel like I can make some pretty good stuff on my own. Granted I will say that it always tastes better when someone else makes it, but I can make some pretty good pumpkin chocolate chip bread, which by the way is my favorite Great Harvest bread. My friend introduced me to their Cinnamon chip Bread and she sent me home with a loaf too. It is melt in your mouth delicious! I saved some for my husband, it was really hard, believe me. My girl and I could have ate that whole loaf. My husband also loved it and of course, he wants me to make some like it. I know that we will probably never get as good as Great Harvests, but if we can come close we will be happy. We are a bread loving family! Anyways I will get to my point. I discovered these on this blog, rather then buying the chips, and I think they worked out great. I did have to bake them on a slightly higher temperature and then I just cut them up instead of breaking them apart. When I went to put them into my bread, I did most of my kneading, (I have to knead by hand otherwise you can put them in before you start kneading), and then when the texture of the bread was almost how I wanted it, then I added the chips. If I were to add them before, the heat from my hands would end up melting the chips into the bread.


2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
 ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 200F. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spray liberally with cooking spray. Set aside. In a medium size bowl, combine the granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, shortening, light corn syrup and vanilla extract. Mix with fork until the mixture is uniform and crumbly.




Spread on parchment lined baking sheet, flattening with your hands and shaping into a rough square about 1/4 inch or so thick. 


Bake until mixture is melted and somewhat bubbly, about 35 minutes. Cool completely, and then cut into small pieces.




Mine never became bubbly but they still worked out great. This is the perfect amount to put into two loafs of bread! Enjoy I know I did.

Below are pictures of my bread. It was pretty good but I still have some more work to do. I started with the foundation of a sweet bread, but then I couldn't put that much sugar in it, after I made the bread, it needs more sugar and I didn't cook it quite long enough. I wasn't sure how long to cook a round loaf like that. I will post the recipe when I decide it is good enough!
















No comments:

Post a Comment